Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week#3 - Faux Beams

Good morning everyone,

First week back at work was a busy one. Did not have much time to work on the recroom project.  I've completed varnishing the beams and now in the process to taking down the ceiling tiles. Alex is taking part in this project and hopefully learning some useful skills.  The next picture shows a side view of one of the beams. The side are built out of oak and the bottom one quarter inch oak veneered plywood.


Beam - Side View


The next few pictures were taken in my shop as I was building the beams. I used some Danish Oil on the beams prior to varnishing them.

Beams being built in shop
Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to hang the beams to the ceiling.  I want to bring them down as much as I can and will probably use pieces of 2" x 4" to do this. The reason for bringing the beams down is that I want them to show as much as possible.
I started thinking about the electrical part of this project.  Each beam will have a pot light in it. I hope to attach the pot light to a 3-way switch.  I still have to figure out how to wire everything.  When I remove the drywall I should be able to figure things out.

January 2 - 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment